Due to their unique attributes, Campaign Responses in CRM 2011 are incredibly useful for tracking ROI of Marketing. Like the simple example below, this blog will help you determine if and how Campaign Responses may fit into your CRM architecture as it is designed to support your sales and marketing strategy.
The traditional use of Campaign Responses, as their name implies, is to track the responses to outgoing marketing Campaigns. For example, your organization may send an email offer to your customer or prospects in CRM, and when they express interest (via phone, email, or otherwise), you would create a Campaign Response. You can automate the Campaign Response creation from an outbound Campaign, and this is discussed in this tutorial on 4 Ways to Put Campaign Response to Work.
But Campaign Responses can be used for much more than tracking responses to campaigns! Campaign Responses are unique because:
Top 10 Uses for Campaign Responses
In addition to tracking responses to an outbound Campaign, here are the top 10 further uses for Campaign Responses.
- Track new 'leads' from existing customers (Contacts or Accounts).
- Track additional inquiries from existing Leads or Contacts.
- Triage web leads or inquiries coming in from a web form—especially if many of them could be already in your database.
- Collect registrations to an event where a Campaign is set up for the event.
- Collect leads during or after an event and assign for follow-up.
- Import a purchased list as Campaign Responses if the list possibly contains a number of existing Leads or Contacts.
- Import a "one-time use" list as Campaign Responses. Conduct the follow-up and convert those who respond. Close those who do not respond. If you include Campaign Responses in your search, you will never lose the data.
- Rather than creating Opportunities where there may be none, generate Campaign Responses for a group of prospects potentially interested in an event, product, or service. Follow-up with each prospect and either convert each one to an Opportunity or close it.
- Use workflow to generate Campaign Responses automatically when a new Lead or Opportunity is created with a Source Campaign. This creates a single place to track and report on results of Campaigns, but eliminates having to teach end users how to use Campaign Responses.
- When your organization does an outbound Campaign such as an Email offer, send people to a web form as the primary response channel. Bring the web form submissions into CRM as Campaign Responses.
Common Customizations Involving Campaign Responses
If you plan to use Campaign Responses, you ought to customize the Campaign Response to match your organization's processes just like you would any other entity in CRM. Here are some common ways the Campaign Responses are customized.
Many organizations will consider creating a custom entity for what Campaign Responses were designed to do out-of-the-box. In doing this, they are missing out on some of the built-in functionality that makes Campaign Responses great. Before you travel down this path, consider what Campaign Responses can do for you!
PowerObjects provides marketing solutions that help organizations achieve their marketing goals and strategies including Email Marketing, Event Management, Surveys, Web Forms, and Web Analytics. For organizations with advanced Marketing needs, PowerObjects has created custom screens that allow users to complete unique processes such as converting multiple campaign responses at once to different types of records. Contact us if you are looking for a unique marketing solution today!